In competing for the future scene of technology growth across Africa, AppsAfrica holds its fifth annual AppsAfrica Awards 2019. The event celebrates the best in mobile and tech from across Africa, showcasing the continents best innovations in 14 categories (which will be further elaborated in this entry). The awards are open to corporates, established ventures or start-ups who have launched services in at least one African market.
Regardless of the platform, mobile and technology projects are most welcome to pitch in the event, considering they meet one of the fourteen categories eligible for application:
- Disruptive Innovation Award, seeking to recognize the disruptive innovations and new business models that would serve as a potential change for various sectors of the continent.
- Health Tech Award, seeking to recognize the appropriate use of technology to support healthcare services in the continent. Entries may include a new service, device, software, hardware or use of apps, SMS, IVR or social media.
- Best African App Award, seeking to recognize the best applications successfully launched on any platform to target African consumers or businesses.
- Enterprise Solution Award, seeking to recognize the most favorable enterprise services across Africa—helping businesses and ventures of the continent via the proper use of technology.
- Blockchain Award, seeking to recognize also the most appropriate use of blockchain technology to provide support towards any sector in Africa; ardently increasing the speed, efficiency, accuracy, transparency or cost-effectiveness of the desired outcomes.
- Media & Entertainment Award, seeking to recognize the best news and entertainment innovations, considering the information technology is at its pinnacle of growth in Africa. Sectors covering music, literary, gaming, children’s entertainment, and lifestyle are also eligible to participate in this subcategory.
- Educational Award, seeking to recognize services which are striving to improve education by utilizing mobile or other technologies. A relatively staggering education condition in the continent serves as a framework for potential innovations in the scene.
- Fintech Award, seeking to recognize services outlining the financial and economy scene of Africa—innovations including digital currency, bitcoin, mobile money, wallets, P2P, money remittances & transfers, point of sale or funding platform are eligible to this subcategory.
- Agritech Award, seeking to recognize the best and most groundbreaking agriculture innovations for Africa. Services supporting both conventional and modern farmers that would potentially improve crop yields and/or productivity in general fall into this subcategory.
- Social Impact Award, seeking to recognize an inspiring use of technology that has a positive social impact for an African community while contributing to economic and social development.
- Internet of Things (IoT) Award, seeking to recognize the most pioneering applications and manifestations towards the IoT sector; primarily involving products, devices, software, and hardware to aid interconnectivity in Africa.
- mCommerce Award, seeking to recognize solutions intersecting mobile commerce activity across the continent. Services such as online platforms, retail brands, portals, apps, classifieds, and comparison sites fall into this subcategory.
- Changing Africa Award, seeking to recognize the leading companies driving game-changing initiatives across Africa for the masses. Regardless of the platform, entrants that fall into this category are the ones that could bring an inventive change for the continent via any sector.
- Mobility Award, seeking to recognize innovations improving mobility for the public. Aside from ride-hailing startups, logistics and supply chains initiatives are also eligible to pitch in this subcategory.
Registrations will close on September 11th, while the shortlist of startups/services will be announced on October 8th. Additionally, winners of each category will be made official on November 11th at Cape Town. They who have won their respective categories will also be cordially invited to attend the 3rd Africa Tech Summit Kigali 2020 to join tech leaders, corporates, startups, and investors.